Fish fillet stew and rice- My Kenyan style.
Quick, simple, and totally delicious fish stew ! Fish fillets cooked with nothing special but the ordinary onions, ginger, garlic, tomato with black pepper seasoning in a stew.
The stew takes around 30 minutes to be ready and can be served with anything of your choice. From Ugali, rice to even mashed potatoes.
- 2 Large fish(Washed, separated bones from fillet and cut)
- 1 tsp black pepper and salt(for fish seasoning)
- 2 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
- 1 large onion(chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (pounded)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 fresh red chili
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 beef cube
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
Method of Preparation
- In a pan heat oil and fry onions until soft and brown.
- Add the garlic,ginger,red chili and fry until soft (do not brown)
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Stir and simmer for about 5 minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- Add the chilli cubes and the water and stir well. Cover with a lid and simmer for an extra 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, season your fish with salt and black pepper. ( Use sparingly as stew is already seasoned.)
- Put some oil in a another frying pan and fry the fish until golden brown. Turn and do the same on the other side. Then add the fish in the stew. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves on top and serve.
- Prepare rice as per the packaging instructions.
Tip: I would recommend this meal for weight gain because it has approximately 365 calories per serving. But if you intend to add more calories you can add a avocado salad or a glass of plain yoghurt.