The main goal for gaining weight should be either to get a curvaceous figure or build muscle mass. To achieve this, you need to focus more on healthy weight gain instead of gorging on junk food which is high on unhealthy fat. Piling up on the pounds without building muscle mass is not good for your heart. If you are looking for Cheap ways to gain weight, there is no dearth of options for you.
Learn all about how to gain weight cheap, low budget weight gain diets,weight gain meal plan on a budget, weight gain diet in low budget and the different cheap weight gain foods you need to help you gain weight for your healthy weight gain plan.
Considering the current Corona pandemic globally, your weight gain journey may be challenging because the economy is hurt. This means that maintaining the required regulations of staying at home and keeping distance can be tough.
In such situations for you to achieve your weight gain goals you will need to save as much money as you can.
For you to achieve this successfully, you need to incorporate budget weight gain meal plans and low budget weight gain diets.
This can be achieved by taking the following steps:
- Purchasing food stuff in bulk.
- Cooking and eating at home regularly.
- Preparing a menu that is budget friendly.
- Considering frozen foods.
Purchase food stuff in bulk.
Normally, since it is cheaper and a better way to conserve, I recommend buying food in bulk. For example, in large quantities you can buy dried cereals. By shopping in bulk food stores, you can reduce both your packaging waste and even your food waste. By buying in bulk, it eliminates the demand of elegant packaging and single use plastic.
Several supermarkets and natural food shops sell nutrient-dense and protein-packed foods such as almonds, dried beans, and whole grains in bulk containers. It is to your benefit to purchase your own extra-large containers at a much cheaper price per pound than you can pay for prepackaged produce.
Overall, buying in bulk is better. Since you can buy exactly what you need, you won’t have old packages of semi used things in the cupboard any more! You should use the freshest items, therefore.
By purchasing in bulk the food waste and how much packaging can be used can be taken into account. Before you know it you will be dreaming of shopping in every aspect of your life!
Cook and Eat at home.
There are a number of reasons why you should cook cheap meals for weight gain at home, it’s surprising that we aren’t all doing it at least some of the time. It is typically much easier to consume homemade food than dining at a restaurant or purchasing processed food from the store.
Ben Atkinson, who oversees the Nutrition and Food services department’s outpatient nutrition, informatics, and wellness programs at Harborview Medical Center says, “If we eat at a restaurant, we’re not only paying for the food but also for the cost of running the business. The lights, the water, the house, and the workers — we eat besides the meal. The same applies to frozen or pre-made meals in grocery stores.’ This simply means cooking and eating at home is cheaper
More so, studies shows that eating home cooked meals regularly as a family is linked to healthier and happier children, and adolescents who are less likely to indulge in alcohol, drugs or cigarettes.
Research also has it that eating home- prepared meals five or more days a week is even associated with a longer life. They do tend to and consume less sugar and processed foods, which can result in higher energy levels and better mental health.
Prepare a menu that’s budget friendly.
For you to gain weight on a budget, your body needs nutrients from lean proteins, decent carbohydrates and healthy fats to maintain maximum fitness. Understanding what the body requires is the first step in making a budget friendly menu.
Strategize grocery shopping by finding discount food shops, bulk purchasing locations and even clipping coupons to save extra money.
Note that, money is crucial, nutritious food is a priority and targets are essential for you to acquire lean mass.
Consider frozen foods.
Frozen vegetables are more effective nutritionally than fresh, because freezing prevents the loss of sensitive vitamins and nutrients during transport. Moreover, they are often cheaper than similar fresh or chilled foods, and as good as they are when preserved.
Starchy vegetables, including lettuce and cucumbers, tend to have more calories than watery, fibrous types. Shop as side dishes for frozen broccoli,peas and succotash or blend in brown rice. Typically, frozen versions are much less expensive than fresh from the field and can be mixed into soups, casseroles, or eaten with cheese.
Frozen fruits, especially when it comes to cherries and berries,they are generally cheaper than fresh as well. Select unsweetened versions that can be cooked in oatmeal, made with milk, or poured into a yogurt smoothie you purchased on sale.
Affordable Food to gain weight.
Pocket friendly Protein foods.
- Eggs– A single egg contains around 7 grams of protein. You can have eggs on a daily basis without much of an expense. Whole Eggs are among the best dietary sources of choline, a nutrient that is incredibly vital but most people aren’t getting enough of. Eggs are quite high in animal protein content and contain all the essential amino acids required by humans.
- Milk- On this category we have cream, whole milk, yogurt and sour milk.Milk contains 30 grams of protein in every litre, along with calcium and fat. You may choose the low fat variety of milk or whole milk depending on how much weight you want to gain. It also depends on your body’s ability to digest lactose. It’s one of the greatest foods for gaining weight. Yogurt on the other hand is an excellent food for augmenting your protein intake without shelling out a lot. It also provides you with calcium and aids in digestion.
Pocket friendly Carbohydrates.
- Oatmeal-For healthy weight gain without spending a lot of cash oatmeal is an excellent choice. Not only is it filling but also nutritious. With 68 cal for 100 gms it’s good to go for weight gain. It is also a meal you can prepare quickly in the morning. It has around 55 grams of carbohydrates per serving and also packs in protein and fiber.
- Bread- Any form of whole breads be it whole wheat breads, twelve grain breads or sprouted grain bread are a few good sources of carbohydrates for weight gain. There is hardly any food cheaper than bread. That’s why I consider it one of the cheapest weight gain foods that’s readily available.
- Rice-Rice comprises of carbs, with small amounts of protein and virtually no fat. The good thing about rice is! that its a staple food for many around the globe meaning its readily available.
Affordable fat foods.
Since a third of your calorie consumption should be from fat, it is important that the fats you consume are heart friendly. Ensure that you include healthy sources of fats in your diet. Some of the pocket friendly sources of fats are nut butters and seeds. You should try to find some cheap brands of olive oil.
- Nut butters– In this category we have variety from peanut, cashew, macadamia and almond nut butters. Nut butters not only adds fat without costing a lot, it also has a lot of antioxidants which lowers the risk of degenerative diseases.
- Nuts and Seeds- They come in variation from flax, chia, sunflower,pumpkin, almond, cashew peanut etc. All this help in weight gain but peanut is one that is readily available and can’t strain your pockets. At 567 cal you can consume this as A snack and can cover for your calorie requirement.To save money, purchase peanut in bulk.
Affordable weight gain fruits.
I pick this three fruits below because they are available worldwide.
- Avocado- Avocados and their oils are rich in monounsaturated oleic acid, a heart-healthy fatty acid that is considered to be one of the primary reasons for the of olive’s oil health benefits. They are high in calories. You can use them on salads and smoothies to add up on extra calories to help you gain weight.They are readily available in local supermarkets at good prices.
- Bananas- Bananas are sweet and appealing to both children and adults. They are rich in fiber, antioxidants and several nutrients. With 105 cal two bananas can add you some extra calories. They are also cheap and found around the globe.
- Mangoes- Mangoes are also found far and wide and are also pocket friendly. At 201 cal are a great choice for fruit salads, juices and smoothies. Mangoes contain potassium, magnesium and the antioxidant mangiferin, which all support healthy heart function.
Other weight gain foods on a budget.
- Sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, cassava.
- Pulses i.e beans, peas, lentils etc
- Red meat
Smart Grocery shopping ideas.
- Save on proteins. – Substitute cheaper vegetarian sources like beans, eggs, tofu, and legumes for more expensive beef, fish, or poultry, where possible. Eat vegetarian once a week or more to increase your balanced plant food intake while saving money. Eggs are a good, inexpensive source of protein you can eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You could also consider using a smaller portion of meat, fish, or poultry and add whole grains, beans, eggs, or vegetables to the platter.
- Pre- plan – Take stock of what you’ve got on hand, so you don’t overbuy. Create a comprehensive shopping list based on your needs and weekly meal plan, and decide how you plan to use the residuals.
- Don’t waste food. – Using leftover vegetables, poultry or meat in soups , stews, salads, and casseroles minimizes costs and shows your kitchen creativity. For instance, one night have a roasted chicken for dinner and the following night use the leftovers for to prepare soup for dinner. Try to top up a bed of fresh greens with leftover chicken vegetables, fruit, and slices.
- Go for healthier choices. – Weight gain is all about eating extra calories. By this I don’t mean going for junk foods. Most people tend to spend a lot on junk “extras” — foods that add calories but little nutritional value, like sodas, bakery items, and chips. If you consider the nutritional value of the food for the price you can get more for your money. Sodas and flavored drinks, for example, generate mostly empty calories and can easily be replaced by fresh fruits and making nutritive smoothies and shakes.
- Other points to note. – When purchasing some foods like cheese, buy bricks other than shredded. Always include whole breads since they are both calorie dense and nutritive. Soak dry beans before boiling.
When you are trying to gain weight on a budget, it is always good to prioritize your budget. But before you do that, you first need to know your calorie needs to determine the amount you will need to spend on foods for. Bear in mind that you need to eat more calories than you burn to enable you to gain weight. Your metabolism would play a major role in determining how much you need. Generally, aiming for an extra 500 calories is considered feasible.
Having made up your mind on the foods that you would want for fats carbohydrates and proteins, you now need to make sure that you decide on the best combination of weight gain foods to achieve your weight gain target. To ensure that the high calorie requirement is met, you may want to include cheap meals to gain weight like some nuts, banana, pancake for snacks in your day.
For more tips, ideas and content that can help you in your weight gain journey, join my mailing list.