Healthy snacking to gain weight can be very difficult.
Some people might be worried that snacking in between meals might interfere with intake of full meals.
However, research shows that people who added snacks to their meals were able to see a positive change on their weight count.
Try including nutrient rich snacks such as nuts and dried fruits to your diets to add on your caloric intake.
Snacks to gain weight
Here is an example of a simple snack plan that is effective for weight gain.
- Mid-morning– A cup of juice, nuts and raisins
- Mid afternoon– cheese, crackers and a cup of whole milk
- Evening– raisin bread, peanut butter plus a cup of chocolate milk.
It is easy to come up with a healthy snack plan if you choose from the following healthy snacks.
- Whole fat dairy products such as milk and yoghurt
- Cereals buggy and seeds
- Groundnuts and pumpkin seeds are great for weight gain
- Crackers and bagels Chocolate bars and low fat granola
- Fruits and vegetables
- Tuna/ salmon and chicken
- Peanut butter spread on bread for an extra one hundred and ninety-two (92) calories butter and cheese, take these in moderation as too much is not good for your heart. As for Pasta, serve it as a base for a healthy high calorie meal
Fruits for Weight gain
When gaining weight, healthy eating is Paramount. This is where fruits come in.
Fruits are rich in nutrients and help supplement high calories from other foods.
Fruits should be considered as additional snacks or taken with major meals and not as replacements.
Fruits such as mangoes, pineapple and papayas are full of natural sugars and high on nutrients.
Dried fruits are higher in calories than fresh ones.
You can add raisins to cereal, oatmeal or salads.
Fruit smoothies, try those without any added sugars to avoid crashing on high calories without nutrients.
Avocados are high in mono saturated fats which are heart friendly.
One big fruit contains up to two hundred calories.
You can make healthy guacamole which is a plus on your weight gain program.
1 banana contains up to one hundred calories
Read more on Healthy foods for weight gain.
Vegetables to Gain Weight
Gaining weight on a vegetable diet can be quite tricky especially for vegetarians.
It is much harder to gain weight on vegetables than other foods. This is so because they consist mainly of water and fiber. Other than beans and other legumes, vegetables are low on calories.
High fiber content also means that you get full quickly decreasing the likelihood of consuming enough to add on weight.
Due to the little counts of calories on vegetables, one will have to consume large servings in a day to add on to weight.
That is why, nutritional recommendation requires you to include vegetables as part of the larger meal that contains other foods high in protein, fat and calories.
Vegetables high on starch such as potatoes, yams and corn have more calories than watery vegetables like cucumbers, broccoli and cauliflower.
A cup of mashed potatoes or fried chips in moderation can help add weight.
Seek them grilled or baked for faster weight gain Boiled yellow corn and Beans are a good protein substitute for vegetarians.
Go the soy way for added benefits, baked winter squash and burdock root. Plantains and yams, Lentils, zucchini, carrots and cucumbers are other weight Gain Foods to consider.
snacks, fruits and vegetables and healthy oils such as olive and canola oils play a major role in healthy weight gain.
Whole Bread variants, red and white meats are also major additions when it comes to protein dense, high calorie diet.
Points to note when on this diet?
- Do not wait to feel hungry for you to eat.
- Plan to eat 5-6 meals in a day.
- Do not forget to drink lots of water to help digest the food.
- You can also choose to gain weight on building
- Take a protein rich drink after each work out.
Did I leave out any tip or idea? Id love to hear from you. Please Sign up and leave your comment.