Custard apples also known as Cherimoya (Annona cherimola) is a green, cone-shaped fruit with scaly, fairly rough skin and creamy, sweet flesh. It contains anti-oxidants like Vitamin C, which helps to fight free radicals in our body.
It also contains potassium and magnesium in a healthy amount that protects our heart from cardiac disease.
Its rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins. This unique fruit can boost immunity, fight inflammation, and promote eye and heart health.
Custard Apple has a sweet taste similar to other equitorial fruits, such as banana and pineapple.
Custard Apple Nutritional Facts.
- Calories (94 Kcal)
- Protein (68g)- 4% of DV
- fat (0.5g)- 1% of DV
- Carbohydrate (20g)- 9% of DV
- Dietary fiber (0.9 g)- 17% of DV
- Calcium (17.6 mg)- 2% of DV
- Phosphorous (14.7mg)- 3% of DV
- Iron (0.42 mg)- 4% of DV
- Carotene (0.007 mg)
- Thiamine (0.075 mg)- 7% of DV
- Riboflavin (0.086 mg)- 8% of DV
- Niacin (0.528m)- 3% of DV
- Ascorbic acid (15 mg)
- Nicotinic acid (0.5 mg)
NOTE: DV- Daily Value
A study on custard apple shows that cherimoyas contain one class of chemicals which sets them apart from other fruit species – the presence of acetogenins (McLaughlin, 2008). The acetogenins are unique to the Annonaceous family and in in vitro and in vivo studies appear to have considerable anti-cancer properties. Many of the compounds appear to have multiple physiological activity e.g. some acetogenins have both anti-cancer and anti-hypertensive activity.
Here are 9 Top benefits of Custard Apples
1. Healthy weight gain- Are you working hard to add weight? Custard apples are good for those who need to gain weight since it contains around 94 calories. A mixture of custard apple and honey when consumed on a regular basis will help add on the required weight and those much required calories as a snack or make smoothies out of it.
2. Rich in Antioxidant.- Custard apple is specifically rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C and carotenoids. These compounds normally fight free radicals that may contribute to many different diseases.
3. May prevent High blood pressure.- Custard apple have magnesium and potassium, two major nutrients that support healthy blood pressure levels. Foods rich in potassium are very important in managing high blood pressure (HBP or hypertension) Since potassium reduces sodium effects. The more potassium you drink, the more urinary sodium you lose. Potassium also helps ease blood vessel walls strain, which helps lower blood pressure even further.
4.Helps in digestion.- Custard apple contains high amounts of copper and dietary fibre, which helps in digestion, ease bowel movement and relives from constipation. Custard apple pulp can be sun dried,crushed into powder and consumption of the powder with water will help heal diarrhea.
5. Helps anaemics.- Cherimoyas serve as a stimulant, expectorant, coolant and haematnic. Moreover, the rich iron source is also useful in treating anemia.
6. Helps diabetics.- If you are suffering from diabetes, start eating cherimoyas in order to lower the blood glucose levels. Also, the dietary fibre present in custard apple helps slow down the sugar absorption.
7. Heals wounds.- According to studies, custard apple seeds are effective in healing minor wounds. More so they have plenty of Vit B in it which also speed-up skin cell re-growth and provide instant pain relief. They also contain anti-bacterial properties.
8. Helps in maintaining healthy skin and hair.- Custard apple is rich in vitamin A that works miracles for skin and hair. When applied on the skin and hair, it works as a moisturizing agent that also controls other aging signs. The pulp is also effective on boils and ulcers.
9. Boosts Immunity.- There is a splendid amount of vitamin C in custard apple, which is a major kick start for the body’s immune system. Vitamin C can help in stimulating the production of white blood cells, which are the first line of defense for the body’s immune system.
You can try out this simple high calorie smoothie.
Avocado & Custard Apple smoothie.
Ingredients. (Serves 2)
- 1 medium Avocado
- 1 medium Custard Apple
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the avocado into two and scoop out the pulp into a bowl.
- Cut the custard apple and remove all the seeds. Scoop out the pulp too.
- Put the avocado, custard apple,cinnamon and whole milk into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve chilled.
Custard Apple is creamy and sweet. There are many ways to eat custard apples and enjoy the fruit. Make a puree of the flesh by either blending or pushing the custard apple flesh through a sieve with a wooden spoon, discarding the seeds and any overly fibrous parts. You can make smoothies and mix it with other fruits to create a variety of flavors.