Exercises are important for both weight gain and weight loss and they can be used to achieve both.
Exercising regularly is a vital step when it comes to bulking up. And for you to manage this well you have to combine a good diet with the right exercises for you to look amazing. However, when one exercises appropriately, then the food you eat gets used up and converts into mass muscle which helps in building a healthy body.
Sensible exercising is required for you to achieve your desired weight. Moreover, your body needs more calories from food for you to gain weight.
What is being Underweight?
If you are underweight, it means you weigh less than is healthy as per your bmi. You can check your BMI Here.
It is not useful for your health to be underweight. If you’re worried about yourself or someone else, find out what you can do. The reason why you should do so is that weighing below par can lead to weakened immune system, feeling tired and having fragile bones.
Why being underweight might be an issue?
Being underweight is not good for anyone. It could cause the following:
- Weakened immune system: If you don’t get enough nutrients,your body can’t store energy. This makes fighting disease hard. After being sick, it may also be hard for your immune system to recover.
- Fertility issues: Low body weight in females can lead to irregular periods, absence of periods, and infertility.
- Nutritional deficiencies: If you’re underweight, you’re probably not eating a good, balanced diet that your body wants to operate correctly. This may cause issues like anaemia, osteoporosis, skin or hair or teeth problems
What next? By making a few adjustments to your diet and lifestyle, you can achieve good weight and prevent underweight adverse health impacts.
Gain weight with food?
You have calculated your bmi. You know how much calories you need to gain weight.
Let me use my example. Before i begun my weight gain journey I weighed
45kgs. I am 5feet 4 inches and weigh 54kgs/ 119.05 pounds.My Bmi is
currently 20.4. The Bmi categories state that:
- Underweight- Less 18.5
- Normal weight- 18.5-24.9
- Overweight- 25-29.9
- Obesity-30 or more
Using the calorie calculator I need to eat 1657 calories daily to maintain my current weight. I need between 1800-2200 calories daily to gain weight.
What do i mean?
If you want to gain weight in a steady manner, aim for 300-500 calories more on a daily basis. If you want to gain fast,aim for 700-1000 calories above your maintenance level.
For me to add some pounds I started by using the steady manner of adding weight of 300-500 extra calories. This is what i put into consideration in terms of foods i ate.
Protein is one single nutrient that’s important for gaining healthy weight.
Muscle is made of proteins. Without it the extra calories may end up
as body fat.
Studies indicate that when overfeeding, a diet of high proteins may
cause the extra calories to be converted to muscle.Its advisable to try aiming for 0.7-1g or above of protein per pound of body weight.
Some foods that are high protein include: Meats, Dairy products, nuts,
eggs, fish among others.
2. Healthy Carbs and Fats
Eat a lot of high carbs and high fat foods if you intend to add weight.
Make sure you eat more than 3 meals daily and add energy dense snacks
in between meals.
3. Energy dense foods.
Some of the foods in this category include: Nuts, high fat dairy, grains, dried fruits,tubers among others. A back side of this foods is that they tend to be more filling than junk food. Adding spices and sauces to foods like potatoes,yams,beef, pork will make the food tastier and easier to eat.
Gain weight with Exercises?
Male and female bodies work differently when it comes to storing fat
and muscle mass distribution. Therefore,you need to focus on exercises
that give you the most promising results for you specific body type.
Some of this exercises include:
- Pull ups.
- Bench press.
- Overhead press
This is an exercise that helps build shoulder and arm muscles. You will need some kind of bar to pull up from.
- Take a slightly wider grip of the bar than the width of your shoulder, your hands facing away from you.
- Hang down the whole way.
- Take your chin to the top of the bar.
This is an exercise that helps in putting weight around the
quadriceps, the calves and back.
- Keep your upper body straight, backward and relaxed with your shoulders and chin up (choose a spot to stare at in front of you so you don’t look down). Always get your heart involved.
- Make a stride forward with one leg and lower your hips until both knees are bent at an angle of about 90 degrees. Make sure that your front knee is right above your ankle, and not pushed out too far. Make sure that your other knee does not touch the ground.
This helps build muscle in your leg and butt muscles. This focuses on
your femoris muscles(quads)
- Stand straight up with your feet apart- hip-width. directly below your hips, and stand a kimbo.
- Tighten the muscles of your belly. Stand up tall, putting back your shoulders lifting your chest, and pulling your abdominal muscles.
- Lower down, as if sitting down, While maintaining your upper body as straight as possible, bend your knees as if you were lowering yourself to the seat behind you. Lower yourself as far as you can without leaning your upper body more than a few inches forward.
- Straighten your legs without locking your knees.
- Repeat the move again.
This is an effective exercise for increasing weight around the outer
and inner chest areas.
- Lie on a bench on your back with your eyes just below the bar.
- Take hold of the bar with a medium grip-width (thumbs around the bar!)
- Free the bar by straightening your arms.
- Lower the bar to the middle of your chest.
- Push the bar back until your arms are straight.
A weighted bar is needed to perform this exercise. This exercise helps
bulk up the muscles of your shoulders,arms, abs, back and lower limbs.
- Stand with the bar at the front of your shoulders and your hands next to your shoulders.
- Push the bar above your head, until it’s balanced above your shoulders and mid-foot.
- Lock your elbows to the top and lift your shoulders to the ceiling.
Additional points to ponder.
Its always good to make some lifestyle change since Weight gain is not
all about Exercises and Food. Remember to do the following so as to
get the most out of your workout.
- Set yourself reasonable goals- Be steady in your weight gain endeavour. Don’t be too hard or fast. This can cause harm than good.
- Reduce smoking and alcohol incase you do.
- Get enough sleep not less than 6 hours.
- Reduce and avoid stress.
Think its Important? Share it with Friends.